Journalist at the University of Tennessee and the work I've done

Diversity at the University of Tennessee

1 Comment

This past week I’ve been stoked about doing this project. However I had an extremely jam-packed week and had to wait until today to do it. I worked for my job on Monday and Wednesday, finished my internship at WBIR yesterday, and had to move out of my apartment by Wednesday night. Needless to say, I’m exhausted.

Today was full of challenges, but I got it done, and I’m so happy because it was a great day! It may not seem like it at first, just wait. 

I started out the day by paying off my tuition for the summer and forgetting my phone at home. I arrived on campus around 9:10 a.m. and checked out the equipment. I gathered some shots from campus and headed over for my interview at 10 a.m. Joel Kramer is a boss, and I absolutely love him. He was extremely informative about diversity on campus and the initiatives that the University maintains. If it was possible, I would have loved to show his 23 minute interview in its entirety because it was great. After leaving him I bopped around from 30 minute parking spots to 15 minute parking spots until I got the footage I needed. I also ran into the beautiful Sammie Herold and got some great insight from her. Since I left my phone at home, I looked up directions to my doctor’s office and headed out around 11:58 a.m. even though my appointment was at 12:30 p.m. I grabbed some McDonald’s and immediately spilled a third of my large coke all over me. The gas light went on so I needed to fill up–almost got hit THREE times in the parking lot. Then as I’m trying to find the office, the road it’s supposed to be on turned out to be a dead end. A DEAD END. For those of you who do not know me, I don’t own a car and don’t typically drive. I was freaking out. Miraculously I navigated my way there with 10 minutes to spare. I scarfed down my lunch and spent the next hour and a half at the doctor. I bolted out and finally found a metered spot a couple of blocks away from campus. The time? 2:08 p.m. There was only a two hour limit on the meter. I hadn’t even uploaded my footage, let alone edited it. I fed the meter and prayed that I could somehow get back before I got ticketed. The next part wasn’t easy, but everything seemed to fall into place and the story basically told itself. It was the fastest I’ve ever edited a piece. It was also my first time doing a same-day turnaround on a project. I finished at 4:21 p.m. And I have no idea how. The deadline was 5 p.m. I’m actually really proud of my work, too. Even if I don’t make it past round two, it was a great experience.

Diversity at the University of Tennessee

Hope you enjoy!   


Author: rachelleblake

Currently a Journalism student at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. Aspiring journalist for over a decade.

One thought on “Diversity at the University of Tennessee

  1. This is great, the blog and the piece. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s